Rules and Guidelines
Gene Screen BC (GSBC) is a contest to honour short videos that educate, inform and excite secondary students, the public and healthcare professionals about the role of genetics and genomics in human health. The contest will open on May 8, 2012 with a networking Launch Event and will culminate in a Screening Gala on September 25, 2012 in Vancouver.
The category for this year’s film is “Education” and is targeted towards those interested in creating short films aimed at educating students in grades 8 to 12 about any topic related to the role of genetics and genomics in human health. Beside this general topic of genetics / genomics in human health, the content is up to you and we encourage you to be creative and develop your own approach. The films we select will be used to complement current educational programs. The only requirements are that it be:
- Scientifically accurate
- Made for educational outreach purposes for students in grades 8 through to 12
- A stand-alone, original film created solely for the purpose of entering this contest 3 to 10 minutes in length (including 10 seconds of frames provided)
- Suitable for public display (PG rating)
- Not in violation of copyright law (all material must be your original work)
- Non-commercial in nature and not created to promote an individual or organization
- Compressed to less than 500mb
- Final version must contain Gene Screen frames at start and end (will be provided by GSBC)
The top three (3) films and the Viewer’s Choice film will be shown at the Screening Gala on the evening of September 25, 2012 in Vancouver.
- 1st place – $3500
- 2nd place – $2500
- 3rd place – $1000
- Viewer’s Choice – $1000
Contest Official Rules:
- ELIGIBILITY: Gene Screen BC (“Competition”) is open to all Canadians or persons living in Canada except employees of or contractors for Genome BC and BC Clinical Genomics Network (“Organizers”), their subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies and their family/household members (defined as parents, spouse, children, siblings, grandparents). If a film is submitted by a team, at least one person must be Canadian or living in Canada and have been significantly involved in the creation of the film. This Competition is intended for viewing to as wide an audience as possible including Canadian and international audiences and shall be construed in accordance with the laws of British Columbia. All federal, provincial and local laws and regulations apply.
- HOW TO ENTER: Competition begins on May 8, 2012 at 8 p.m. PST and ends on August 17, 2012, at 11:59 p.m. PST. To enter the Competition, visit www.genescreenbc.com and follow the instructions provided there. The film must be from three (3) to ten (10) minutes in duration (including 10 seconds of frames provided) to qualify, and you must make your submission by uploading your original film to a Dropbox (www.dropbox.com) public folder and uploading the information to our website. Detailed instruction can be found at www.genescreenbc.com/submitvideo.
- To enter, please complete the intention to submit form. For marketing purposes, we would appreciate the form by May 29th, 2012. The form is formally due on August 10th, 2012.
- An entry form with more detailed questions must also be completed upon video submission.
- By submitting an original film, entrants are agreeing to release their work under a Creative Commons license: (Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Canada). Information at http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.5/ca/.
- By submitting an original film, entrant represents and warrants that the film is the entrant’s own creation and is 100% original work; is not subject to, and does not infringe upon, the rights of any third parties, including without limitation privacy or publicity rights; and is not defamatory, obscene or otherwise illegal. The entrant further represents and warrants that any person whose image is identifiable in the entered film has signed a release or permission sufficient to enable the entrant to grant Organizer the rights in the film granted in these Official Rules. Entrant will furnish Organizer with a copy of such release or permission upon request; failure to do so by a winning entrant may result in disqualification and selection of another winner in his/her place.
- Entrants not complying with these requirements will be subject to disqualification. All entrants must have a valid email address. In case of dispute as to identity of entrant, entry will be declared made by the authorized account holder of the email address submitted at time of entry. “Authorized Account Holder” is defined as the natural person who is assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization (e.g., business, educational, institution, etc.) responsible for assigning email addresses or the domain associated with the submitted email address. Any other attempted form of entry is prohibited; no automatic, programmed; robotic or similar means of entry are permitted. Organizer, and its parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, partners and promotion and advertising agencies are not responsible for technical, hardware, software, telephone or other communications malfunctions, errors or failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, website, Internet, or ISP unavailability, unauthorized human intervention, traffic congestion, incomplete or inaccurate capture of entry information (regardless of cause) or failed, incomplete, garbled, jumbled or delayed computer transmissions which may limit one’s ability to enter this Competition, including any injury or damage to participant’s or any other person’s computer relating to or resulting from participating in this Competition or downloading any materials in this Competition. Receipt of entries will not be acknowledged or returned.
- JUDGING/WINNER: All submitted films will be pre-screened and judged for scientific accuracy by Organizer between August 20 and August 26, 2012. If a film is deemed scientifically inaccurate by the judges, the entrant will be notified via email with written feedback provided by the judges and the entrant will have an opportunity to correct the inaccuracy and resubmit the film for final judging. If the film is resubmitted and the inaccuracy has not been corrected, the film will be removed from the competition. In this circumstance the entrant will be notified by email.
All qualifying films will be judged by a panel of experts between September 3 to 18, 2012. First, second and third prize winners will be selected on the basis of how well they have shown to explore an idea in genetics / genomics in human health, scientific content, concept/originality, entertainment value, educational outreach potential and production quality. Potential winners will be notified in confidence by e-mail on or about September 20, 2012, and may be required to execute and return an Affidavit of Eligibility/Release/Prize Acceptance Form within fourteen (14) days of attempted notification. Each participant selected as a potential winner must comply with all terms and conditions set forth in these Official Rules, and winning is contingent upon fulfilling all such requirements. If the winner cannot be contacted within five (5) calendar days of first notification attempt, if prize or prize notification is returned as undeliverable, if winner rejects his/her prize or in the event of noncompliance with these Competition Official Rules, such prize will be forfeited and an alternate winner will be selected from all remaining eligible entries. Upon prize forfeiture, no compensation will be given. JUDGES’ DECISIONS ARE FINAL ON ALL MATTERS.
The public will be able to watch the competition entries on the Gene Screen BC website. From September 3 to 19 they will be able to vote for their favorite film from www.genescreenbc.com. The Viewer’s Choice Award will be awarded to the film that receives the most on-line votes and announced at the Screening Gala on September 25. Details and rules on how to vote will be available at www.genescreenbc.com/vote.
- WINNING ENTRIES: There will be three (3) ranked winners selected by the judges. In addition, there will be a Viewer’s Choice vote for a favorite film. Organizer has the right to include additional prizes as offered by sponsors.
- RIGHTS IN ENTRIES: By submitting an original film and entering the Competition, entrant agrees to a Creative Commons license (Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Canada). The Organizer has the right in perpetuity to publish the entrant’s original film in any way for any and all non-commercial purposes, including but not limited to education, advertisements, publicity and/or marketing in any and all media worldwide without further compensation to or permission from entrant (except where prohibited by law), and with credit to entrant, at Organizer’s sole discretion.
- GENERAL: Acceptance of a prize constitutes permission by winner to use of his/her name, photograph and/or likeness for advertising, publicity and promotion purposes without compensation (unless prohibited by law). Organizer is not responsible for incomplete, late, lost, stolen, damaged, mutilated, illegible, postage-due or misdirected entries. By participating in this Competition, entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and agree to release and hold harmless Organizer and its parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotions agencies, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers and directors, from any and all liability, for loss, harm, damage, injury, cost or expense whatsoever including without limitation, property damage, personal injury and/or death which may occur in connection with, preparation for, or participation in Competition, or participation in any Competition-related activity and for any claims based on publicity rights, defamation or invasion of privacy.
- Name of winner will be announced in Vancouver on September 25, 2012 at the Screening Gala. The winners’ names will also be posted at www.genescreenbc.com on or about September 26, 2012.
- Organizer reserves the right to cancel or modify this Competition in the event that an insufficient number of entries are received that meet the minimum judging criteria. Organizer also reserves the right not to award prizes if the submitted entries are not scientifically accurate and/or are not of sufficient quality.
The only awards are the stated cash prizes, recognition by the judges and/or viewers and the posting of the film(s) online.
CAUTION: Any attempt by an entrant to deliberately damage any web site or undermine the legitimate operation of the Competition may be a violation of criminal and civil laws. Should such an attempt be made, Organizer reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted.
BC Clinical Genomics Network
c/o Lesley Phillips
Address: Department of Medical Genetics, Children’s and Women’s Hospital
C328A – 4480 Oak Street, Vancouver, BC, V6H 3V4
Phone: 604 875-2000 ext. 5980
c/o: Sheila Driscoll
Address: 500 – 555 West 8th Ave., Vancouver, BC V5Z 1C6